Historic wildland fire season officially ends

November 5, 2018

By: The Working Forest Staff

TORONTO —This year’s wildland fire season was a season, unlike anything this province experienced in over a decade.

With more than 1,000 wildland fires in central and northern Ontario, 2018 was one of the busiest fire seasons in the province’s history. To meet this challenge, the government has so far provided an additional $100 million in funding to successfully combat these blazes and keep Ontarians safe.

“We recognized the real threat these fires posed to the public, and to the communities and private property in the affected areas, and we took action to respond immediately,” said Jeff Yurek, Minister of Natural Resources and Forestry.  

Ontario is an internationally recognized leader in wildland fire management. Vital operational support assisted Ontario crews and those who offered their help from beyond Ontario’s borders. The Minister is grateful for the provinces and territories, Parks Canada, the United States and Mexico who joined the fight against Ontario’s fires.

“This was a challenging season, but I am proud to report, all active fires are officially out thanks to the hard work of our brave frontline crews. Their dedication, courage, and perseverance kept affected communities safe, and the Government for the People’s continued commitment and support gave firefighters on the ground and in the air what they needed to get the job done safely and successfully,” Yurek said.

Your comments.

Your #1 source for forestry and forest industry news.

Built by Sofa Communications