• EACOM - RFP Nairn Centre, ON

Fire at Canfor sawmill

January 5, 2016

By: Daily Herald Tribune

The Grande Prairie Fire Department was called to a fire at the Canfor mill on Wapiti Road (108 Street) at about 10 a.m. on Monday.

When crews arrived, Canfor employees were evacuating the building and indicated there was a fire in the sawmill. Crews found moderate smoke conditions and a smoldering fire being controlled by the sprinkler systems in the sawmill.

Firefighters worked to extinguish spot fires and a concealed fire that had extended into the wall space. The fire was extinguished by 12:45 p.m.

The fire was caused by a seized/overheated bearing in the machinery, say officials.

Canfor officials estimate the fire damage to be between $25,000-$50,000.

By: Daily Herald Tribune

Your comments.

Your #1 source for forestry and forest industry news.

Built by Sofa Communications