By: The Working Forest Staff
ABCFP Conference Session Spotlight
Forest Landscape Planning: Transforming How We Manage BC’s Forests
Friday, February 5, 2021, 1:00 PM – 2:30 PM
- Diane Nicholls, RPF, ADM, Chief Forester, Office of the Chief Forester, Ministry of Forests, Lands, Natural Resource Operations and Rural Development
- Julie MacDougall, RPF, Director, Resource Practices Branch, Ministry of Forests, Lands, Natural Resource Operations and Rural Development
- Garry Merkel, RPF
- Shannon Janzen, RPF, Vice President, Partnerships & Sustainability and Chief Forester, Western Forest Product Inc.
- Forest professionals will learn about forest landscape planning (FLP) — BC’s new approach to forest management. There will be a moderated panel discussion featuring industry, First Nations, and public service forest professionals on the vision for FLP, what it all means for forest professionals, and what forest professionals need to know. The session will wrap-up with a Q&A.
- After participating in this conference session, forest professionals will:
- Understand what FLP is and why BC is moving towards this new model for forest management.
- Identify the spectrum of roles forest professionals will play within the FLP framework.
- Understand the next steps in forest professionals need to take to be ready for this change.
CPD Hours: 1.5 | ABCFP CPD Reporting Tool [login required]
Professional Practice Areas:
- Forest Ecosystem Assessment, Planning and Stewardship
- Forest Legislation and Policy Development and Administration
- Forest/Watershed Level Planning and Management
- Landscape Level Strategic Forest Planning and Management
ABCFP Conference Speaker Profiles
Diane Nicholls, RPF, ADM, Chief Forester, Office of the Chief Forester
Diane Nicholls, RPF, was appointed ADM, Chief Forester for British Columbia in February 2016. She began her career as a forest technician from BCIT. Diane then continued her studies at the University of Alberta and completed her education at the University of British Columbia. Diane’s varied background, including consulting, industry, and government, has given her a great deal of experiential knowledge of the forest sector and the collaborative work that must go hand in hand with forest management.
Awarded the Distinguished Forest Professional in 2019, Diane has proven her leadership by always looking ahead for new ideas and solutions. The Office of the Chief Forester has the mission of “Caring for BC’s Forests.” Diane’s vision for the forests of BC encompasses the needs and wants of the many people who live and work in this great province.
Julie MacDougall, RPF, Director, Resource Practices Branch, Ministry of Forests, Lands, Natural Resource Operations and Rural Development
Julie MacDougall, RPF, started her career in the 90s as a field forester in Burns Lake and then as a resource manager in Vanderhoof before relocating to work with Alberta Parks. Now back home in BC, the province is benefiting from her diverse background as she leads a team key to ensuring our forests are managed for health and sustainability in her role as the Director of Resource Practices Branch with the Ministry of Forests, Lands, Natural Resource Operations and Rural Development.
As an avid backcountry hiker and mountain biker, her love of spending time outdoors with friends and family only strengthens her resolve to see BC’s forests continue to thrive in a changing climate.
Julie’s breadth of multi-sector natural resource planning and management experience in both British Columbia and Alberta offers insightful, first-hand knowledge of sustainable forest management and the importance of landscape-level planning.
Garry Merkel, RPF
Garry Merkel is Tahltan and a Registered Professional Forester with a wide range of experience in forest management, governance, business, education, community development, and corporate management situations.
With over three decades of experience involved in forest policy at a provincial and national scale, Garry’s most recent provincial activities include being one of the two-member panel conducting an Old Growth Review for BC and Co-chair of the Minister’s Practises Advisory Council.
Garry is also heavily involved in Indigenous relations primarily in the areas of recognition and reconciliation where he works with Indigenous groups, industry, governments, and others to help us collectively work our way through these complex issues.
Shannon Janzen, RPF, Vice President, Partnerships & Sustainability and Chief Forester, Western Forest Products
Shannon Janzen first joined Western Forest Products in 1999. She was appointed Chief Forester in 2013 and Vice President and Chief Forester in 2015. In March 2020, she was appointed Vice President, Partnerships & Sustainability, and Chief Forester. Shannon is responsible for leading the development of partnerships and business ventures with First Nations and other partners. She also provides leadership to Western’s sustainable forest management, climate, and environmental programs.
Shannon has extensive experience working with First Nations, communities, other businesses, and environmental groups to develop mutually beneficial relationships, including the implementation of the Great Bear Rainforest agreements.
As a Registered Professional Forester, Shannon holds a Bachelor of Science in Natural Resource Management from the University of Northern British Columbia.
Act Now to Exhibit or Sponsor at the ABCFP 2021 Virtual Conference
Register now to book a trade show booth for the ABCFP 2021 virtual conference. If you run a consulting company or have products or services you want to get in front of hundreds of forest professionals, the trade show at the ABCFP 2021 annual forestry conference is a great low-cost opportunity.
The ABCFP 2021 conference also has a number of sponsorship opportunities available. As a sponsor, your name and brand will be prominent among more than 400 conference attendees and you will be recognized as a key supporter of BC’s forestry profession. Conference sponsorship opportunities are available at a number of affordable price-points. We can also work with you to create a customized sponsorship package that caters to your marketing and sales objectives and provide the greatest ROI.
For more information, please contact Dean Pelkey, ABCFP communications director, 604-331-2321, or Devon Douglas, eVoque Event Management, at 604-952-5507.
See more HERE.